Today, in the third installment in my Summer Music Series, we'll take a look at how a nonprofit cause related organization, HeadCount, engages with music fans. Later in the week, I'll post about what companies can do within the world of live music.
In my interview with Andy Bernstein, executive director of HeadCount we talk about how HeadCount taps artists such as Dave Matthews, Phish, Death Cab for Cutie, and Bob Weir to drive interest in political action.
It's an active online community where more than half of music fans tweet or like something political every week, and a large number engage every single day.
You don't have to be a nonprofit to take away ideas from Andy!
Direct link to How music fans support nonprofits and causes on YouTube
Summer Music Series
- Monday: What YOU can learn from the music business. People are passionate about music. How can you tap into that passion?
- Tuesday: Do what you love. I interview Grateful Dead percussionist Mickey Hart to learn what has kept him pushing his work forward for more than 50 years.
- Wednesday: How music fans support nonprofits and causes. Draws on an interview with Andy Bernstein, executive director of HeadCount.
- Thursday: Always move forward. I write about the Gathering of the Vibes music festival and how it moves music forward. Includes an article I wrote for Huffington Post and a video with quotes from Perry Farrel, Elvis Costello, Wavy Gravy, and Ken Hays.
- Friday: How brands engage with live music fans. I interview rock photographer Jay Blakesberg and we explore how to tap into music fans and the bands themselves to promote your work.
Disclosure: I'm on the (all volunteer) Digital Advisory Board of HeadCount.