My newest book Tuned In: Uncover the extraordinary opportunities that lead to business breakthroughs hits stores in early July.
I wrote Tuned In with two other authors: Phil Myers and Craig Stull from Pragmatic Marketing. It was fun to apply our different (yet complimentary) perspectives to the writing process, creating a book that's much more than any one of us could have written
We came together to create Tuned In because we see a tremendous need in the marketplace for a book dealing with aspects of the marketing process, including:
- how to identify the problems in the market that an organization can solve,
- how to develop products and services that resonate,
- and how to communicate directly to buyers without advertising and without mainstream media.
Ultimately the Tuned In approach leads to products and services that people want to buy, generating much greater success for companies as well as nonprofits, entrepreneurs, and other organizations.
We also wrote the book because we see so many people guessing at what buyers need. Countless organizations fail because they waste time and money building, marketing, and selling products and services the market just doesn’t value.
We've identified the main reasons for failure in the marketplace such as a blind focus on innovation (for innovation's sake) and a reliance on "missionary sales" and expensive advertising to "educate the market." We share our research in the book and debunk the myths around about why these approaches almost always lead to failure.
Tuned In is a departure for me in that I worked with co-authors (a first for me) and because we talk about building products (Craig and Phil specialties). But a major focus is communicating value to buyers once products are built (my specialty).
Just like my most recent book The New Rules of Marketing & PR, we use stories and examples of success throughout to educate and inform readers.
In Tuned In you'll meet people behind such innovative organizations as:
- Zipcar, a membership-based car-sharing company targeted at under-served city-dwellers and college students who drive infrequently but regularly
- GoPro, which developed a camera for surfers that attaches to your wrist
- Boeing, which has just developed a 787 Dreamliner jet with market-driven enhancements that they expect customers will spend much more for
- Dr. Eleanor "Connie" Mariano, who built a successful practice treating every patient like the President of the United States
- Steve Cohen, who went from being a typical magician doing birthday parties to the millionaires' magician commanding huge fees.
Free advance copies of Tuned In for bloggers and podcasters!
[UPDATE (June 4, 2008): The free advance copies are all gone. But you can still pre-order a book on Amazon or BN. Thanks!]
Our publisher, John Wiley & Sons, has provided us with 100 advance copies of Tuned In to send to the first 100 bloggers who request a copy. If you think your audience might be interested in Tuned In, we'd like to send you a copy. Of course, it is totally up to you if you use our stuff. There is absolutely no obligation whatsoever.
If you're a blogger or podcaster, receive your copy before the book is available in stores by following this link to send us your information.
We're available for short interviews as well. Contact us here.
Members of the "mainstream media" can also get copy of Tuned In by using this link.
Phil, Craig and I hope that you enjoy the book!